On 01/30/17 16:07, Isaac, Jeremy wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> We have a WordPress performance issue I’m hoping somebody here has some
> insight on.  We are running a multisite WordPress installation with
> about 30 active sites.  Users are having difficulty editing the main
> page (http://broad.msu.edu/) because it is too slow to complete within
> the PHP execution limit of 30 seconds.  W3TC and APC are already
> enabled.  The cache size is sufficiently large to not drop frequently
> requested pages.  During an edit of the main page, PHP execution is
> taking up the full time of a CPU thread.  CPU utilization for the
> general public reading pages is minimal.  The hosting machine is
> physical with 2.8 GHz cores.
>

> Increasing the execution limit isn’t going to be considered acceptable.
>

> If anyonehas any thoughts (even what might seem basic), or would be
> interested in helping to resolve this issue, any input would greatly be
> appreciated.
>

> Thank you,
>

> Jeremy Isaac
>
> Broad College System Administrator

Well, there are a lot of questions to ask, first.  Maybe answer inline?

What OS and version?  How much memory is in the system?

What web server and version?

What version of Wordpress, PHP, and database?

Is this a new thing, or has it always been slow?  You are running 30
sites.  What if you turn everything off except for one?

Is this on a virtual system or real hardware?

That's a start for determining the problem.

--STeve Andre'