Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the cloud storage
policies have had any revisions lately that I just happened to have not
heard about.  I recently had a conversation with one of my users that also
works in a lab in another department that kinda surprised me on the
recommendations they were getting to use google drive as the storage space
for their lab data.

Specifically, from the documentation that I can find (and have seen for
quite a while), the MSU policy is that anything that's considered
confidential data should not be stored on cloud storage.  Among the many
examples of what's considered confidential data, the one that always stands
out to me based on the nature of what we do in our department is
"Unpublished research data".  As a result, we've always been very careful
to stress to our users that they shouldn't be using it, and specifically
not for unpublished research data (which invariably is what they want to
use it for anyways).  Whether they pay attention to us after that is always
of course another debate.

However, this person says the recommendation they were getting from another
department was that they should use google drive to store their research
data.  And supposedly they were told that MSU's agreement with google
allows for stuff including FERPA and HIPAA protected data to be on google
drive.  (In this case, I don't think their data actually falls under either
of those anyways.)  From what I can find, there is reference to google apps
being ok for FERPA stuff, but only specifically MSU's educational records.
The googleapps.msu.edu page specifically then says to avoid any
confidential data than educational records.

I'm not trying to throw another department's IT staff under the bus, but do
feel that some clarification would be useful.  Among other things, I'm
getting told this third party from a user, so I'm entirely willing to
believe that there's something being lost in translation there.

(I've also always kinda felt that it's better to err on the side of caution
here.  If something did happen and things got breached, faculty with tenure
tend to be pretty hard to fire because of something like that.  The IT
staff that let them get away with doing this in the first place is far more
easily replaced :). Call it a healthy dose of paranoia.)

Gary