I am wondering about the experiences that other departments have had
with migrating to the MSU CampusAD email system. Here is a brief
timeline of some of my experiences to date:

·At the end of January 2015, I reached out to MSU IT’s messaging team on
behalf of the Office of the Provost to begin discussions about
migration.I wanted to understand the process and expectations.

·On February 3, 2015, I sent a written request to MSU IT – Messaging
team with information, as requested, about current mailbox database
sizes, MX records, maximum number of recipients, specific needs with
respect to large mailings.

·In May 2015, I placed a request in CA requesting a first meeting.,
copying the contents of my original email to the MSU IT – messaging team.

·Throughout Summer 2015, placed numerous phone calls to people in MSU-IT.

·Sept 4, 2015 -- seven months later-- I received an email from Rob
McCurdy about finding a time to meet.

·Then on September 15, 2015, I received an email from Scott Thomas
notifying me that he was going to close out the associated CA ticket and
start tracking onboarding through a project plan.

·Oct-Dec 2015, I spent three months, September 2015 through December
2015, meeting regularly with Scott Thomas.I filled out multiple
questionnaires about the Provost’s Office current computer systems.Most
of the materials were put on-line by Scott Thomas, using MSU IT’s
SharePoint system.

·Tentative time line for initial migration of some mailboxes set for
December 2015.Never happened.

·January 2016, a new team of people, superseded Scott Thomas, and we
began discussing new timelines for the migration.

·The time line got changed to April 2016 and then possibly May 2016..

·The latest news is that the team needs more information.See the
attached list of questions.

·The migration will most likely not be able to be performed until
September 2016 (give or take a few months and what works into everyone’s
schedule).

·I understand project planning and time lines need to be moved
sometimes, but for the first migration we are only talking about fifty
(50) mailboxes.In spite of all the meetings, I have not been provided
with the process, regardless of tool to be used, that MSU IT – Messaging
will use for doing the migration.

CampusAD Onboarding

CampusAD Contacts

Scott Thomas

Customer Liaison

(517) 353-1862

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>__

Victor Lounds

Manager

(517) 432-7243

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>_
_Tim Good

Technical Contact

(517) 432-7314

Erik Potzmann

Technical Contact

(517) 884-3010

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>_
_Matt Stehouwer

Technical Contact

(517) 355-9003

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>**

Source Environment Survey

Please review and prepare documentation for the following questions:

Spam Filtering

  * Who are your local/unit spam administrators?
  * What is the product or service doing the spam filtering?
  * Is your spam solution under vendor support?
  * Do you use quarantine?
  * How often is quarantine set to digest?
  * Do you have domain wide white/black lists?
  * Do you have per user white/black lists?
  * Do you use SPF filtering?
  * Do you use sender verification?
  * Do you have any other special spam settings?

DNS Records

  * Who are your local/unit administrators for your DNS?
  * Where is your DNS hosted?
  * What are your email domains?
  * Do you have MX records for your email domains?
  * Where is your MX record pointing to?
  * What is your time-to-live for the MX records?
  * Do you have an SPF record?
  * Do you have an autodiscover record?

Firewall settings

  * Who are your local/unit administrators for the firewall?
  * What is your network firewall solution?
  * IS your firewall under vendor support?
  * Do you use software firewall on your servers or workstations?
  * What are your firewall rules for AD?
  * What are your firewall rules for Exchange?
  * What are your firewall rules for workstations?

Networking

  * What VLANs/IPs do your servers reside on?
  * What VLANs/IPs do your workstations reside on?
  * Do you use network address translation?
  * Do you use DNS doctoring?
  * What kind of network bandwidth do you have to the central IT
    Datacenters?
  * What kind of network bandwidth do you have to/from your workstations?

Backup

  * Who are your local/unit backup administrators?
  * What is your backup solution?
  * Is your backup solution under vendor support?
  * What servers are being backed up?
  * What is your backup schedule?

Active Directory

  * Who are your local/unit domain administrators?
  * What OS version are the domain controllers?
  * To what level is the server OS patched?
  * Are you experiencing any hardware or software failures on your
    domain controllers?
  * Are there any other applications or services that are running on the
    domain controllers?
  * What level is the domain?
  * What is your fully qualified domain name?
  * How many domain controllers do you have?
  * What role(s) does each server perform?
  * What are the IP Addresses of each server?
  * What is the domain schema version?
  * Have you extended the schema for any applications or services?
  * What other roles are installed on your domain controllers?
  * Do have any trusts with other domains?
  * Do you have any applications or services using AD for authentication?
  * Do you have any applications or services using AD for access management?

Exchange

  * Who are your local/unit Exchange administrators?
  * What version is your Exchange?
  * What rollup are you on?
  * How many Exchange servers do you have?
  * What role(s) does each server perform?
  * What are the IP Addresses of each server?
  * What server OSes are installed?
  * To what level are the server OSes patched?
  * Are you experiencing any hardware or software failures?
  * Do have any email address policies?
  * Do you have any address book policies?
  * Do you have any retention policies?
  * Do you have any active sync policies?
  * Do you have any sharing policies?
  * What are your address lists?
  * What are your default mail storage quotas?
  * What accounts are not using default storage quotas?
  * What is your maximum mail size?
  * Do you have anyone on legal hold?
  * Do you have archiving?
  * Do you have open relay set up for any devices, applications, etc.?
  * Are any of your accounts set to forward mail outside of your
    environment?
  * Do you have any public folders?
  * Do you have any Exchange Federation Trusts?
  * Do you have any Exchange Organization Relationships?
  * Do you have any send connectors?
  * Do you have any receive connectors?
  * Do you have any transport rules?

Complimentary Email Services

  * Do you have a unified messaging application?
  * Do you have a list serv application?
  * Do you have devices or applications using a send-to-email feature?
  * Do you have any mobile device management applications?
  * Do you have any bulk mail applications or services?
  * Do you have any service accounts authenticating to send email?
  * Do you have any reports, scheduled tasks, or alerts sending through
    your email servers?
  * Who are the local/unit contacts for any of these applications or
    services?

Clients

  * Who are your local/unit workstation administrators?
  * What version of Outlook are you using?
  * Do you have any mobile devices connecting to Exchange?
  * What OS are clients running?
  * To what level are the client OSes patched?
  * Are client computers joined to the domain?
  * Do you have any clients not using Outlook?
  * Do you have any group policies, batch files, or login scripts for
    Outlook or Exchange settings?
  * Do you use any Outlook Plugins?

Accounts

  * What format are your sAMAccountNames?
  * What format are your userPrincipalNames?
  * What format are your CNs/names/fullNames/object names?
  * What format are your Exchange aliases?
  * What attributes are you using?
  * Do you use any custom attributes?
  * Do you use the adminDisplayName or adminDescription attrributes?
  * Do have any student accounts that are tied to a NetID?
  * Do you have any temp/on-call/contractor/affiliate accounts that are
    tied to a NetID?
  * Do you have any user accounts that are not tied to a NetID?
  * Do you have any service accounts?
  * Do you have any room accounts?
  * Do you have any shared accounts?
  * Do you have any equipment accounts?
  * Who are your VIP accounts?
  * What is your password policy?
  * Do you have any accounts that do not require a password?
  * Do you have any accounts that have been set to not have the password
    expire?

Groups

  * Do you use distribution lists?
  * Do you use mail-enabled security groups?
  * Do you use dynamic distribution lists?
  * Do you have any domain local groups?

Contacts

  * Do you have contacts for people with an @msu.edu or another child
    domain of @msu.edu?
  * Do you have contacts for people that have an email that is external
    to MSU?
  * Are any of these contacts in distribution lists?

Testing

  * Do you have any test accounts?
  * What test cases do you wish to perform? (executive, delegates,
    shared, room, calendaring, equipment, etc.)
  * Do you have a test mailbox load?

Miscellaneous

  * How do you handle change management?
  * Do you have scheduled maintenance windows?
  * Do you have a patching schedule?
  * Do you have any blackout dates for important events?
  * What level of downtime during a migration is acceptable?