I would say you're better off sticking with drive letters for things like
personal or departmental shares. They give a consistent abstraction point
that you control, so if the host or share names ever need to change you can
modify the letter mapping in your GPO and you're set. Windows checks for
hostname spoofing in SMB and doesn't like it, so redirecting with a cname or
something like that is out. Without a consistent drive letter, you run the
risk of everyone's shortcuts breaking when its time to move to a new
fileserver and nobody wants those torches and pitchforks on their doorstep.

Viruses/cryptolocker are a concern and they do like to go after mapped
drives, but there's no inherent additional security to using the UNC path
over the slight level of obscurity. It's better to use the snapshot/previous
versions/VSS features on the file server to define a set retention policy
for previous versions of documents so you can rapidly revert. Backup
archives are a second line of defense and probably won't be necessary, but
are best practice to have regardless. Drive letter bloat/collisions can be
minimized by creating a small number of root shares and then defining
directory permissions on a set of sub-folders in the share root.

If you do end up wanting to get rid of drive letters, I would say throw it
in front of a DFS namespace. That gives you a similar abstraction layer so
clients are connecting to the namespace and you can swap out the underlying
hosts without disruption. It also eases migration to new fileservers by
allowing you to add new hardware to the namespace, replicate the data, and
then offline the old hardware without scheduling an outage window.

Dave Graff