Does anyone know more about the downtime by HIT last week?  http://servicestatus.msu.edu/status_detail.php?id=12765

I remember once upon a time hearing about their redundancy scheme with failover to offsite locations.  Since HIT's transition to ITS, I figured they would have even stronger resources.  A full day of downtime seems devastating.  I was talking with a physician last night and he said it cost MSU more than $500K an hour!

I am posting to try and understand what can lead up to this.  There are many smaller units on campus without these types of resources.  Can there be anything learned to help keep this from happening to other big or small units?  What additional checks are needed for disaster protection and recovery?  These are the types of plans every IT unit on campus should regularly review and maintain.  Lessons learned would be helpful for the MSUNAG community.

Thanks,

Adam Pitcher