Hi,

We are running  several Windows 10 machines on which users are experiencing a random error as described in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent/5256ebee-2c77-4003-87be-1597ab10cb4d?page=132&msgId=8ace80f2-da13-4e83-81f6-aa6aa15f8160&auth=1

What I know so far:

The error appears to be user profile specific. If it happens to one user on a machine, I can log in as another user and things work as expected. In one instance, the error began on a machine running Windows 10.0.10240. Updating to 10.0.10586 made the error go away for a couple days, so I thought Microsoft had come to the rescue with a fix. However, the error then reappeared as mysteriously as it did the first time. The thread referenced above suggests multiple fixes including booting into safe mode, running a certain Power Shell command, uninstalling and reinstalling AV. Nothing seems to work consistently for all effected users. I’m not sure if this means anything, but so far in every instance where I’ve encountered this error, it has been on a machine running Symantec Endpoint Protection; However, it is clearly happening to people who are running other AV suites as well. Does anyone have any further thoughts or solutions? I can’t believe Microsoft has yet to squash this one as when it happens, it is quite severe.

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli

Information Technologist

Michigan State University,

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities,  120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033

517-884-1915

http://www.rcpd.msu.edu