I would really like to apply pressure to vendors like Microsoft to support all three qualities specified by David.

When I discovered that the Windows Command line tools help moved from a local help file to an internet based set of web pages, that was really irritating.  There are times when the computer on which I am working is offline because of some troubleshooting measure, state of intermediate configuration, or simply in a location that does not have internet access.  My idea of mastery is to understand and remember *how* something works.  Remembering every last detail of command line options is not my idea of mastery, just my idea of convenience.  So, even though I may have 'mastered' some hardware or software, I still want ready access to the documentation for the product.

To be comprehensive and systematic the documentation should have a table of contents and an index with a generous amount of cross reference information.  Part of the index could be full text searching, but that usually is not comprehensive enough and does not have sufficient cross reference information.  You cannot apply full text search to a video.  If someone supplies captioning for the video, there is something to index, but it won't be comprehensive information about a product.  To be local it must be accessible without internet access.

-Stefan