On 11/14/14 15:41, Gary Schrock wrote:
> I'm kinda curious what other people think about this issue, and where
> people would tend to draw the line.  As part of this sudden (and
> about-faced policy from what it was a few weeks ago) deadlines on xp
> machines being on the network, we're looking at the task of what to do
> with what's turning out to be a *lot* of machines that are still
> running xp.  And while we're still early in the process of identifying
> and determining what the hardware is under each of these machines,
> needless to say we're already getting pushback from faculty (some of
> which will give up a computer when you can pry it from their cold,
> dead fingers :) ).
>
> So basically, I'm kinda curious what people think is a reasonable
> minimum machine that runs windows 7 decently enough that it's worth
> the effort of upgrading from xp to windows 7. What cpu and memory
> combination do people think is a reasonable cut-off point?
>
> Personally, I'd probably look at something like an E8400 Core 2 Duo
> processor machine with 4 gigs of ram as what I'd call about the bottom
> end of acceptable.  I wouldn't really say it's a great machine when
> running win 7, but it seems to be an adequate machine.  From what I
> can tell, machines with this combination tend to be in the 4 to 6 year
> old range (and I have to admit, the idea of upgrading a lot of 6 year
> old machines that might only last another year or so is a little on
> the depressing side).
>
> Or heck, maybe we're the only department on campus that really has
> this issue of a large number of machines that need to be dealt with,
> and everyone else has done better at keeping machines newer in their
> departments?  Personally, I found it kinda laughable that the linked
> to form in the email that went out only allows one to enter a single
> machine at a time, because I'm facing numbers where that isn't exactly
> practical :).  (And anyone else notice that the linked form last I
> checked still said that December 1st the machines would be blocked
> from accessing the internet, we still haven't gotten an answer on why
> that discrepancy is there and whether we really have till Feb 1 before
> they're blocked from the internet or not).
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

I think I have two Dell's running XP on faculty that are retiring so I'm not
sure that counts.

Probably many of us have a few laptops out there using XP--I give laptops
to people and they flee, and I don't see them for a while. ;-)

Yes, a core 2 duo with 4G is about the bottom for win7.  Of course if the
user is of the light-duty variety, they could be OK.  I have a friend with a
2.1GHz core two duo with 3G and it does work, for simple things.

As for the Dec 1st deadline, I think that means  internet -> XP won't work,
not that they are completely blocked.

--STeve Andre'