It is quite possible that Spartan Net is NATting your connection.  Do you get a public IP address (something other than 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x)?  If not, by them doing a NAT and you doing a NAT, there will be little chance of a IPsec tunnel working properly.

-Nick
________________________________
From: Al Puzzuoli [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 8:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Odd IPsec VPN Issue

Hi everyone,
In our office, I have set up an IPsec VPN using a preshared key via RRAS. At home, I have had Comcast for years, and everything has always worked fine. Last week, I activated service from Spartan-Net, and with Spartan-Net, I can’t connect to the VPN if I’m behind my router. If I unplug my router from Spartan-Net and plug it back into Comcast, the VPN works fine. Now here’s where it gets weird. If I plug my computer directly into Spartan-Net and bypass the router, the VPN also works! So basically, the only time the VPN doesn’t work is if I’m behind the router, with Spartan-Net as my WAN source. How do I even begin to troubleshoot this? What could possibly cause such a specific problem? I’m not changing any router settings, just unplugging it from one ISP, restarting things, and plugging it into the other. I was initially going to open a ticket with Spartan_Net as I thought they might be doing some port blocking, but the direct connection test seems to have blown that theory.
Any thoughts?
Al Puzzuoli
Information Technologist
Michigan State University,
Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities,  120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033
517-884-1915
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu