Probably irrelevant to most here, but...

We have several Windows XP systems used in research labs for running
ongoing experiments, using software that until recently did not work
well under Vista/7, and in any case changing computer configuration
in the middle of a research study could affect the results, so we
continue to run them.  But we do not use those computers for browsing
the internet, and typically have the network disabled (even
physcially), so I think that makes them pretty safe even without
updates.  As I understand it, most exploits depend on user behavior
anyway, so under some circumstances XP systems will be safe
regardless of updates.  Or am I wrong there?

-- dkm