I have an issue on a set of three Ubuntu servers.  Two are running 10.0.4, one is running 12.0.4.  They’re all joined to our Active Directory and authenticate against it without a problem, most of the time.  I have one particular user that is missing groups associated with our account on two of the three machines.  I’ll break it down:

Web302:

Ubuntu 10.0.04, user gets all the correct groups with “groups username” and “getent group username”

Web202:

Ubuntu 10.0.4, user missing one group with “groups username”, but shows everything correctly with “getent group username”

Web102:

Ubuntu 12.0.04, user missing one group with “groups username”, but shows everything correctly with “getent group username”

I’ve tried changing settings in smb.conf to try turning off caching so it pulls the info from a domain controller but that doesn’t seem to change anything, and reducing the time that it stores the information on the server before it rechecks doesn’t seem to fix it either.  Reboots and restarts of winbind don’t have any effect either.  I’ve checked the winbind and samba logs and I’m not seeing anything that sticks out as an error.

Any ideas?  The smb.conf file is identical across all three machines and they’re all hitting the same domain controller.  I’ve spent a good part of three days on this and I’m stumped.

Jon Galbreath, MCSE

Systems Administrator

International Studies and Programs

Helpdesk: 517-884-2148