Trying to help a user convert several hundred files, and just wondering what the most efficient way is to do this?

I followed the instructions below, but they didn’t work:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6137128_convert-wordperfect-word-batch.html

I tried Word 2003, Word 2007 and Word 2010, and never saw an “other documents” tab in the new dialog, even though I had all converters and filters installed. I’ve found a shareware program that looks promising, ABC Amber WordPerfect Converter; http://www.processtext.com/abcwordperfect.html

but wanted to insure there was no other cheaper or free way to do this efficiently before recommending the purchase of this. Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Al