Not that anybody besides me cares, but I might as well close up this
dangling thread.

After much trouble, I convinced the Help Desk to bump this up to the
campus Google Apps admin for clarification.  I got the following
response from Felicia, which I quote in full (leaving off the stock
closing paragraph):

/-------------------
Hello David,

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to do some testing and run my
answer by Google.

The Google Apps for Education Edition used by Michigan State State
University has only enabled apps that are covered by our agreement
with Google, also known as core apps. Consumer apps such as Google+,
YouTube, Picasa, and Google Groups have not been enabled because they
are not covered by our agreement with Google. If you would like to
join a group outside of Michigan State University, like a public
group, you will either need to have the moderator of that group
directly add you, or you will need to use a consumer Google account
like a Gmail. If the moderator directly adds your msu.edu email to
the group, posting is prohibited via the Google Groups user interface
when the Google Groups
consumer app is disabled. You can still post to the group via email
if the group's settings allow for email posts by members. Google says
that this is "expected behavior."

Consumer apps can be enabled for a Google Apps Education Edition
domain. However, everyone at MSU will be asked to agree to the
consumer ToS. If someone chooses not to agree, they will not be
allowed to access the core apps or consumer app. Also, Google will
not support consumer apps. So, if there was a problem, IT Services
cannot contact Google for help like we can with the core apps. As
stated above, consumer apps do not fall under the MSU agreement with
Google either. Data in consumer apps can be mined for ads, etc. like
any Gmail account.

A separate core app called Google Groups for Business is available,
but not enabled for our MSU Google Apps Education Edition domain. I
have been given the go-ahead to move forward with adding this core
app to our Google Apps Education Edition offerings. I will need to go
through the formal IT Services change management process, so it may
take a few days to a few weeks to get final approval. With Google
Groups for Business, you can create groups in the MSU Google Apps
Education Edition, but it will not help you with joining groups
outside of our domain. I will likely post a news release about this
at http://tech.msu.edu/news/ (past articles are at
http://tech.msu.edu/news/tag/google-apps-for-education-edition/).