So based on that, I am just out of luck.  But I still find it
vexingly odd that whereas institutions throughout the world may
readily participate in Google Groups, MSU cannot.  As far as I can
tell, it works like this:  Those who do not have an agreement with
Google have free access to all of Google services, while those who do
have an agreement with Google are denied access to some of those same
services with no compensating benefits.  So I fail to see why anyone
would have an "agreement" with Google under those conditions.

Given that, I see two potential workarounds to this state of affairs:

(1) Simply do what hordes of students and faculty already do and
abandon MSU e-mail for Gmail, forwarding all my MSU e-mail to
Google.  I understand that the university discourages this practice,
but under the circumstances this really does make the most sense.

(2) Conversely, set up a specific Gmail account as sort of an
extension to my MSU e-mail, and have all that forwarded to my MSU e-mail.

Sadly, it will take considerable testing to figure out how well
either of these solutions will work, and this really should not be my
job.  I just wish the networking people on campus could step in and
help guide me through this.

I ran this by Felicia and she then followed up with enough
clarification to settle the matter.  I quote that now essentially in
full, and she gets the last word.

/-------------------
As for your first point, the problem of not having access to other
Google products is discussed quite often here. Directors of IT
Services have been involved. Some schools, Wisconsin if I remember
correctly, have just enabled all core and consumer apps for their
domain. Other schools have taken the same choice MSU has and only
enabled core apps. On http://googleapps.msu.edu, there is a link to
the Cloud Computing guidelines. Using a Gmail account should fall
under those guidelines. Unfortunately, the guidelines are written so
it is up to the end-user to make the judgement call. If you have a
follow-up question about this judgement call, I can look into getting
that answer for you. I have asked for easier ways for the MSU
community to evaluate cloud computing (for example, outline good and
bad use cases). I think there are some good reasons for not providing that.

 From my point of view formed during my career at MSU, MSU takes the
the cautious approach to protecting user data whereas some other
schools have leaned more towards openness in their own judgement
calls with FERPA, etc.. I've brought your concerns up to my leaders
like I have done in the past, but to be honest, I don't think
anything will happen unless there is a big culture change at MSU. I
can see the value of both interpretations. This is now beyond my
scope, but I think it should help give you a glance of what happens
behind the scenes.