At the risk of being a troll...

I don't know why that should cause confusion -- use MSU Listserv for MSU
groups, and reserve Google Groups, Facebook Groups, etc. for groups that
go beyond campus.

E.g., the one Google Group that I still belong to using my MSU e-mail is
an international Group just for people using a specialized software
platform for behavioral research.  Joining the group means that I can
get new posts automatically by e-mail (instead of having to manually go
out to the web), I can post questions, and I can post answers for
others.  As a direct result of my participation in that Group, I have
become the world's leading public authority for that specialized
platform, my department has now parlayed that into making money through
an online course based on my expertise, and I continue to promote the
course through the Group.  That would not have happened without my
having access, through my MSU e-mail, to Google Groups.

Now we have another specialized platform for me to learn.  That platform
has two Google Groups, one for general users, another for developers of
the platform itself.  Lack of access to Google Groups through my MSU
e-mail seriously impedes my work at MSU.  I wouldn't mind if campus has
a general blockage of Google Groups, with an override provision on a
case-by-case basis (faculty has already written an exemption case for
me, without my asking), but we do not seem to have even that much.

To repeat, have folks use MSU Listserve for MSU groups, and allow Google
Groups and the like specifically for wider groups.  Problem solved.

-- dkm