Hello Everyone,

My lab has a science (crop modelling) application written at the turn of
the millennium that consists of 60K+ lines of Visual Basic v6 code. It
is clear that this needs to converted to a more modern and portable
language (Java and Python have been kicked around as possible
candidates).  So my boss and I are wondering about option of hiring an
outside group to do this conversion in a timely fashion (vs doing it
myself or hiring student labor).

Has anyone hired a local consulting company that does programming work?
How was that experience? Once upon a time I remember that MSU had an
"Application Programming" (or some such name) group that would work with
departments -- does this capability still exist at the university?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Brian Baer
Programmer Analyst
Geological Sciences