Maybe I'm reading too far into it, but it sounds like you simply oppose password expiration. That's not surprising, since it is a contentious topic. We decided to implement password expiration since doing so mitigates exposed passwords such that attacker access isn't perpetual. We also chose a reasonably long duration as to not encourage bad password habits.

Is it fool proof? Of course not. As you pointed out, rotating or incrementing passwords are ways users can defeat the usefulness of the policy. At the same time, they could also willfully expose their password, and there's not much we can do about it. In my opinion, the best we can do is to encourage good password hygiene while trying not to encourage bad password hygiene (as these are often at odds with each other).

-Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: David McFarlane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 1:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] AD Domain Password Policy

Wow, so your users have to cycle through 24 passwords to get back to the one they like.  Do you prohibit rapid successive password changes, or can they sit down and just make 24 changes in a row to get back to their favored password (I have heard of users doing this)?

Do users know that you remember only 24 past passwords, so they can plan this bit of subterfuge?  How many of them simply increment a number in their password, e.g., password--01, password--02, ..., password--24, password--01?  I might do that myself under those circumstances.

Glad to see no one imposes a maximum length, I hear that spells trouble.

-- dkm