Nick,

Thanks for the help, but I have 2 DNS servers installed currently. It has to be some type of configuration error on my part. I’ll keep digging.

From: Kwiatkowski, Nicholas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 1:16 PM
To: Tim Heckaman; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [MSUNAG] DNS Help

The issue stems on what happens when your in-house DNS server fails.

If you have the 1st DNS as your AD server, and the 2nd as one of the many Campus DNS servers, things will go like this :

-          Normally, you will resolve to your AD server.  This is required to allow people to login, map drives, access AD resources for authentication, etc.  Requests for regular internet sites (or MSU sites, for that matter), are handled by your AD server, and if it is not already in its cache, it will proxy the request to other DNS servers.

-          If you AD server is unavailable, requests will be handled by MSU’s DNS servers.  This is not a problem, but MSU’s DNS servers will have no idea about your AD servers, printers, file shares, etc.  This will cause some weird issues, but users will still be able to facebook.

-          If your AD server is slower at responding to DNS than the magic threshold (I believe in Windows XP, this is a 2,000ms timer), the request will be asked of the 2nd DNS servers on the list.  Users will still be able to facebook (as both servers know how to handle these requests), but sporadically users will not be able to map drives, authenticate, or their machines will display weird profile errors when booting.

The trick is that MS-AD’s DNS service adds all sorts of special tags and subdomains  to their DNS responses so that Windows machines know how to get to certain resources.  This was done during the migration from NetBios (and NetPipes) to IP for address resolution.  If you look at your local AD server, you will see these entries.

Microsoft’s recommendation is to have a secondary DNS server setup to help fulfill these requests when the primary is unavailable, or too slow to answer the requests.  You would need a secondary Windows box, install DNS services, and make it a slave of your primary.  This way additions are automatically propagated to this second server.

-Nick