It depends on how the VOIP was setup.

I worked for a telecommunications company for a while and they had
equipment in AT&T's Central Offices that basically had POTS on one side
and network on the other.  Technically they had a VOIP system, but the
last mile would be run over AT&T's copper lines. When the customer's
power would go out, their phone would still work.

BJ