Out of curiosity, where are people putting inventory tags on their 1U
servers?  I was just blessed with a visit where they were looking to
scan all the tags on equipment, and we were having all sorts of fun
trying to remember where we'd tagged various servers (it seems like
it's been different every time we do one), and we're thinking we need
to start being a little more consistent with where we put them.  That
said, taking a look at our rack, on all of our servers, both 1U and
2U, there really isn't a spot to put a sticker that big on the front
without blocking something (especially ventilation holes), the sides
are completely covered by the rails, and I'm sure anyone here that
deals with a rack knows how fun it is to get to the back of a server
(hey, we try, but I've never quite figured out how anyone gets those
perfectly neat wiring configs you always see in pictures, they're
clearly blessed with better skills than me).

Have to admit it probably hasn't helped that we've never been all that
concerned with our ability to get to the tag before, I think this is
the first time I've ever seen someone sent out to verify things.  For
the yearly checks we have to do, for the most part we've got the
system labelled with the name in the inventory so we can identify it
easily.