From: Richard Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:19:39 -0500
To: University Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Athletics Email?

Increasingly, MSU is using social networking in ways that are not verifiable.

We see postings on Facebook that appear to be authentic MSU postings from addresses like "Spartans".  Well who posted that on behalf of MSU?  What MSU unit is "Spartans"?  How would anyone know?  How does a  person respond or comment or ask questions to an entity representing MSU with no return address?

We see postings on Twitter with MSU-like origins. We get email from addresses that appear to be authentic MSU addresses.  But what part of MSU originated the message?

This is a problem, and there is a simple answer.  1) Every authentic MSU poster should identify itself - what MSU unit is posting.  2)  Every authentic MSU poster should archive every posting on social networks (by this I mean advertising postings, not responses to chats) on their own Web sites, so people can go back and see what MSU officially has to say.

A policy on this would be advisable.

/rich