Personally, I've got a Droid X myself right now through Verizon.  I'm
kinda curious about all the people that talk about a lack of updates
on the android system, my phone's been through 3 versions (whatever
came on it, froyo, and gingerbread).  Yeah, those are dot updates, but
they still had noticeable differences (enough so that I know a couple
of people that have complained about constantly getting updates).

For me, Verizon has by far always seemed to have the best coverage
anywhere I've been.  Obviously, if one travels outside the US, that
statement goes out the window.  My inlaws have Sprint, and while it's
gotten better with them, to me it always seemed like it would take the
2 or 3 tries to ever make a phone call.  My phone rang while I was
working in a room in the basement here on campus, and the other people
in the room looked at me and said "wait, you get service in here?"
The only real times I've said I've been in areas without service in
the US were in some pretty remote locations, and in those spots,
nobody was getting service.

I've never really had any interest in the iphone, the last thing I
want is a phone that makes me have itunes on my computer (although
with ios5 I'm not sure that's necessary anymore?).  I've gotten a real
kick out of the Samsung commercials mocking the iphone drones standing
in line for the next iphone though :).

2 year contracts seem to be the way all the big carriers are going
these days.  So if you want to avoid that, either buy a phone via
craigslist or some of the websites that sell used phones (if you go a
year old or so the prices are even really pretty decent on those).  Or
go with one of the small carriers.  Personally, if I did the second
one, I'd look for one that uses Verizon for where they get their
coverage.

Personally, I'm likely to go with another android phone myself when I
upgrade.  Supposedly I'm capable of upgrading now (which doesn't make
sense to me, my 2 years isn't at the 20 month point that you normally
can), but I'm holding out a few more months to see what comes out
early to mid next year.

Gary