On 11/02/11 07:44, Joe Besko wrote:
> Quoting STeve Andre' <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> I have at least one user  (possibly three) who reported amazingly
>> slow response times dealing with a large inbox today.  Slow as in
>> minutes to do things.
>>
>> Yeah, I know that larger mailboxes take more to process, but at
>> least one user has had a corpulent mailbox for months now, so
>> that isn't a factor I don't think.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --STeve Andre'
>>

> Are you talking webmail or some other email client?
>
> As someone else pointed out, webmail can be notoriously slow on
> inboxes exceeding 1500 messages, especially under load.
>
> If it's webmail, moving messages from the inbox to other folders can
> have a tremendous impact on response times.

Sorry I wasn't more clear: the user has been using mail.msu.edu for
a while, and noticed that the response time became worse.  It could
be her computer or our net connection, but I did a little checking
and couldn't see any problem.

Is there a point with inbox size where things get worse?  I'd always
thought that the speed was some kind of inverse of the size of mail
that was somewhere near linear.  Is that not the case?

Thanks...

--STeve Andre'