Lee,
I hope you don't mind that I'm sending your message and my reply to the
list.

ATS mail team and the Help Desk take a multi-pronged approach. Normally
the inception is when the mail team detects activity that reasonably
indicates a compromised account. At that point they scramble the
password and create a ticket for the HD to further handle.

Once we get the ticket, we use any existing methods we can find to try
and reach the user regarding their errant situation. When immediate
contact is not made, notations are made on the ticket to make sure that
proper follow up occurs when the user calls back.

Once we have a compromised user on the phone we take a great deal of
effort to try and ascertain HOW they compromised their credentials,
educate them about how they were tricked and how to avoid a recurrence
with advice such as "do not re-use the same password or any similar
iteration EVER". Once we have counseled the user in this manner, we go
on to advise or remind them how to reset their password.

Since some users don't pay good attention to our advise and get
recompromised another time or two, either the Help Desk or the mail team
can decide to set the user's status to prevent a password reset until
the Help Desk staff has talked further with the user. This is
particularly used when we have users who never contact us after the
password is scrambled and just reset their password on their own.

/Leo

--
Leo Sell
Academic Technology Help Desk