The “@msu.edu” that you see when logging in to ANGEL with a CommunityID is misleading.  A Sentinel custom login screen for ANGEL needs to be designed and deployed – one that somehow makes clear to users which type of credential they are using.  I have this on the to-do list of projects for my team.

I should mention that the only CommunityIDs that automatically propagate to ANGEL are those belonging to people who enroll for a non-credit course through the Non Credit Registration System (NCRS).   So anyone can go to http://community.idm.msu.edu and create a CommunityID account, but unless they’re enrolled through NCRS they will get an “unknown Account ID” error when logging in to ANGEL.

CommunityID is a system that is available for those who have applications or resources for which they would like to be able to authenticate (with zero assurance of identity), non-MSU-affiliated individuals.  There is plumbing on the back end that needs to be done to make it work.  It uses a web services interface.  Please contact me offline if you’d like more information.

Jim Green
Manager, Identity Management
Academic Technology Services
phone:  432-7239