From: John Resotko [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 2:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Ethernet based Cell repeaters

I've had an odd request, and I want to know if there is any MSU policy prohibiting it.

A group of students in one of our student organizations wants to buy a small Cell repeater from AT&T, since they all have AT&T cell phones.  AT&T cell phone coverage on campus is generally bad, and they are willing to pay the cost themselves, but wanted to ask before they grab a wall jack and plug in.

First, I was wondering if anyone had tried to do this on campus, and how well did it work?

Second, and probably more importantly, is there any specific policy from MSU Telecom. or ATS that prohibits the use of these kind of devices on the MSU campus?  I don't want to approve this without checking on what current network and telecommunications policy is regarding cell repeaters.

Any additional information you might have would be appreciated.  Thanks.

John A. Resotko
Assistant Director, Systems Administration and Support
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836