Gary,

You found a potential explanation & solution yourself, and we have
discussed it further, I am putting it on the record here for everyone
else's benefit.

First, as discussed, it seems that flushdns did nothing useful, it
was the reboots that did all the work.  I conclude this because I got
exactly the same flushdns advice from ATS the first time I had this
problem on my own Vista workstation on campus, but when the problem
cropped up again several times later, I skipped the flushdns, did a
reboot, and everything worked.

Next, you discovered that when this problem occurred, the system
would show two default gateways, one being the correct one but the
other being 0.0.0.0.

After some searching, you learned that this could be caused by
Apple's Bonjour service, which frequently gets installed with Apple
or Adobe software; it particular, it may get installed with iTunes,
QuickTime, and Apple's CD and DVD sharing software.

So the solution may be to remove Bonjour.  This will have the side
effect of disabling access to shared music libraries and iPhone/iPod
Remote, but our users can probably do without that
functionality.  Unfortunatley, Bonjour will probably get installed
again with every update to the associated software.

-- dkm