And what exactly does it mean that the site "works" on your phone? It
has an image which loads which takes up more than the entire size of
the screen (perhaps not on iPhone 4 which has a very high resolution
to physical size ratio, but definitely on most Android phones)? To me,
that's not working, that's distracting. "Working" means "I can click
on a link which is half the size of my pinky"? OK, so sure, you can
browse the site and it loads for a mobile user, but is it a good
experience for the mobile user?

Also, one thing you learn when you start actually studying what
successful mobile sites do, is that mobile users want/need different
content (or prioritize differently). Bringing certain things to the
front for mobile users makes a lot of sense.

So my two cents are to sniff for mobile aggressively, with a clear and
easy (and preferably cookie-based where possible so your preference is
remembered) way to jump back to the full site (on the current page,
please! Don't make me navigate back from m.msu.edu/xyz/asdf/12345 to
www.msu.edu and then find my place again). As a heavy mobile user,
that's how I prefer sites to operate, and increasingly we're seeing
this behavior on sites, which works for everyone.

Carl Bussema III
Information Technologist
Michigan State University Outreach & Engagement
Phone: (517) 353-8977 • Fax: (517) 432-9541