> from experience I tell you, the content provider often offers a very different view, and often a wrong one

From your experience using sites which are not user-friendly? Or your experience delivering targeted content successfully?

> Don't decide what to deliver to me.

Pfft. Imagine if the web actually worked that way.

That is, there was not any tailoring content to location, connection speed, language, timezone, character set, delivery encoding, document format? ZOMG.

On the contrary, those are crux of the matter. Tech related to these include RSS, microformats, RDF, XML, JSON, XHR, web services, et al.