On 7/18/2011 10:08 AM, Scott Smith wrote:
> I’ve gotten a couple of inquiries lately about what can be done to
> improve cell phone reception within our building. Mainly it’s “I can’t
> get my email!” from smartphone users.
>
> I suppose they could go to WiFi, but I’m told this will quickly suck
> batteries dry (I don’t have a smartphone myself so I don’t have any
> firsthand experience with that)

FWIW, my understanding is that using the wifi part of the phone is
actually more battery efficient than using the cell side.  So if that's
an option in your building, it's probably the best option. (At least for
the smartphone people who can't get email, obviously it's not going to
help with calls.)

I know in my building I did set my phone up to access the wireless in
the building, because there's a fair number of places that the cell
signal just plane sucks.  (Not surprising given the makeup of the building.)