David,

This is called "employee self-service" and became quite popular many years ago (for larger corporations). I took some training in Peoplesoft HR (we were thinking of using it for our classes) around 2000 and it was well integrated in their software then. Seemed pretty user friendly.

The self service stuff is supposed to "empower" your employees. I think it *does*, when the system is usable.
-John
HRLR