Sharing from MSU googleapps to non-MSU addresses seems to work fine.

I just created a doc under my MSU account, and shared it to a non-MSU & non-Google account. It did pop up a warning, but you can click thru that.   (the warning was "...(email address) is not in the Google Apps organization that this item belongs to. Are you sure you would like to share with this address?)

FYI
-John