I spent 6 months using an iPad as my only computer.  It could be the perfect answer, or not.  I felt as if in prison.

There are news reports of older folks just picking up an iPad and instantly using it.  No training required.  I've seen video footage of this.  They just get it.  Beautiful.

On the other hand, Apple lies when they say that the iPad is the Web.  It doesn't do Flash, which means half of the important video on the Web is not there for you.  And it doesn't have a file system anyone can discern.  Everything is tied to apps.

So it is possible, if her needs are constrained, the iPad could be perfect.  A friend explained it this way: if you know what a computer is, an iPad is your worst choice.  If you have no idea, it's your best.

/rich