OK, I'm throwing this out in the hope that someone else has seen this.

I have a user who wanted Office 2010 so I uninstalled the previous and
put 2010 on.  Everything was great, except Word -- you can't save a
file.  It just locks up.

My user reported that it got worse, but I didn't investigate that as I
wanted to get Office working again.

I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked.  Every time I'd
come up with an Office install where everything but Word was fine.  In
looking online I saw all sorts of fixes, none of which worked for me.

Finally, I scrubbed the machine and rebuilt, applied Office 2010 and
everything, including Word was fine!

....Until today.  After just over a week of it working, Word has gone back
to the previous failure mode.  The saving grace for me is that I installed
LibreOffice so he could get work done.

If anyone has met this and defeated it, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks, STeve Andre'