At 7/6/2011 03:02 PM Wednesday, Scott Smith wrote:
>Any one of you who thinks that such a MAMMOTH corporate entity is
>going to expend huge amounts of time and money trying to be
>compatible with every release of every browser and browser add-on
>that exists on the day after the next point rev is released really
>needs to take the next shuttle back to reality.

No need to expend such "huge amounts" of time & money if they merely
write to common standards.  That's the simple point that we are all
making.  To the contrary, it is precisely because SAP *did* spend
"huge amounts of time and money" trying to be compatible with *very
specific* *proprietary* and fleeting standards that they shot
themselves in the foot.  They could have saved themselves time and
money, and their customers a lot of grief, simply by adhering to
common standards.

>   It ain't gonna happen, despite all of the bitching and moaning
> happening here on the NAG list.

And if you think that the makers of IE, FF, etc., are going to adapt
their browsers in order to make SAP work again, well, as I have said
in another thread, that "ain't gonna happen" either.  So it *is* up
to SAP to knuckle down and make their system work with common modern
browsers, once again simply by writing the code to well-established
and common standards.  If you think that is such an impossible job,
then you, sir, "really need to take the next shuttle back to reality."

And yes, if you like, you may consider *me* an apologist for open and
common standards.

Regards,
-- dkm