Thanks to folks here and some ATS folks, I now understand whats going on:

1. You don't have to enter a code when initially installing Office 2010.
You get a 30 day "crack sample" in which to hopefully get hooked.

2. The 5 x 5 code on the back of the CD is wrong, for MSU bought
site licenses.  The proper code you get when you order stuff.

3. MS has changed all this in order to keep confusion at a high
level.

Thanks to all...

--STeve Andre'