Princeton figured out a bug in a number of the Android kernels (2.1-3.0)
where a device continues using an IP from an expired DHCP lease.

http://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address-11236.html

We've been seeing intermittent issues with devices losing and resuming
connectivity on the wireless network (but not dropping connection to the
AP), and it seems like this could explain it with phones jumping on the
network intermittently and taking IPs that other devices are using. At a
minimum, I hope ATS is aware of this gem as it seems like it could easily
apply to our wifi infrastructure the same way it did to Princeton.