Before I throw in the towel and spend money, I thought I would see if you all had any ideas.

Two firewalls on machines to enter credit numbers in a PCI-compliant fashion.

One is a Netgear FVS318 and it works fine, though I'm "wasting" seven ports of it.

The other is a Netgear FVS114.  When we start off at a server on the same subnet as the firewall's WAN port, all is well.  But when it's time to go to Web Credit or CASHNet, there is a appreciable delay.  I know, slowness is relative, but this really is long enough to be annoying and slows down the flow of data entry in a bad way.

The config of these Netgears is not especially complicated and I've been over both with a fine-toothed comb, comparing settings.  The LAN ports on the FVS114 are 10/100 Mbps, while the FVS318 is 100/Full; that's the biggest difference.  I've fiddled with the negotiation rates and even the slow unit's MTU.

Can you think of some obvious principle of networking that I may be missing?

Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Kim Geiger
Information Technologist