Lee,

This was mentioned on MSUNAG a week or so ago.  It certainly is a
potential problem, but from a quick scan of the logs, it does not appear
that this is a major issue on our network.  The central DHCP server can
detect that a device like an Android phone is using an IP address in
this manner, assuming that it is pingable, which seems to be true for
Androids.  If so, it will find a different IP to assign to the
requestor.  It is still possible, of course, for an Android user to
wander into range after another system has been assigned that IP via
DHCP.

Just thinking through the symptoms that this is likely to present, I
would expect users to see occasions where an extra refresh or two might
be needed in order to fetch e-mail or web pages or the like, at times
when the wireless connection itself is maintained without a drop.  So
if you're seeing the wireless connection drop and reassociate, that's
a different issue.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980