> disable/enable wireless radio

I haven't had a problem anywhere else but MSU. Although, I haven't yet tested any of convoluted wireless setups hotels usually impose. But my house, my neighbors (!), Beaners, and other various shops all work fine.

> clinging to the weakest possible signal rather than switching to one that's excellent

Most phones are extremely lacking in the configurative-sugar of some real operating systems. E.g., preferred first, best first, prompt for new.

> figuring out there's an access point

My stock DX has no problem with this. Even has a pref for notify/no.