From: Laurence Bates [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:48 PM
To: 'Dave Dai'; 'Charles C Ruggiero'; 'Michelle Roggenbeck'; 'Terri
Gustafson'; 'Ken Dirkin'
Cc: 'Laurence Bates'
Subject: FTPS Client Access to IIS v7.5

I would like your feedback on some options for off-campus file storage
access.  As you know, I spent some time recently looking at different file
servers and clients for remote file access and concluded that Microsoft's
IIS7/FTPS offers the greatest degree of reliability, security, economy and
convenience on the server side.  I have continued to research the FTPS
clients that work with IIS7 and it appears that there are a range of good
clients for both Mac and Windows users to choose from and even one for the
iPad.  I especially like Netdrive for Windows, and Transmit for Mac since
they mount the remote file server as a drive.  On the other hand, 3D-FTP
does a nice job of controlling one or two way synchronization and CuteFTP is
cheap for academic use.  Gladinet's Cloud Desktop Pro provides an insight
into where these clients are going and has an impressive list of Cloud
services that it can access.

I have arranged the clients below in the order that I preferred them but
your sense of user requirements may be different.  There are costs
associated with almost all of them and so at some stage we may need to
consider a budget request to cover the cost of obtaining licenses at lower
overall costs.

You can connect to edfs.educ.msu.edu with your educ id and password.  Select
FTPES or FTP over explicit TLS/SSL using port 21.  You should also select
FTP Passive mode since that appears to be the only mode which works from
off-campus.

FTPS Client Access to IIS v7.5

Windows Clients

1) Macrodata Netdrive - http://www.netdrive.net <http://www.netdrive.net/>
- $7 Q100 (academic) - Free for non-commercial, home use.

2) 3D-FTP - http://www.3dftp.com/ - $24.90 Q100 - nice sync function - $3990
Enterprise (MSU)

3) CuteFTP (Pro) - http://www.cuteftp.com <http://www.cuteftp.com/>  - $3.00
Academic License

4) Cloudberry Explorer - http:// <http://cloudberrylab.com/>
cloudberrylab.com - $39.99 Q1

5) SmartFTP (Pro) - http://www.smartftp.com/ - $29.95 Q100 - Windows

6) Glubtech Secure FTP Client - http://www.glub.com <http://www.glub.com/>
- $30 Q1

7) FlashFXP - http://www.flashfxp.com <http://www.flashfxp.com/>  - $28.45
Q1 - Only Partial drag and drop from desktop

8) WS FTP Pro - $78 Q2 - Required a reboot after install

9) BitKinex - http://www.bitkinex.com/ - Freeware - Too Slow and Complex

10) FTP Commander Delux - http://www.internet-soft.com
<http://www.internet-soft.com/>  - $49.95 Q1 - Too BUGGY

11) WISE-FTP - http://www.wise-ftp.com <http://www.wise-ftp.com/>  - $20
Q100 - Does not work with IIS7.5

12) Gladinet Cloud Desktop Pro - http://www.gladinet.com
<http://www.gladinet.com/>  - $19.99 Academic - Neither the free or Pro
version work with IIS7.5

Nice list of Cloud services that it works with.

13) ALFTP - http://www.altools.com <http://www.altools.com/>  - $6.00 Q100 -
Does not work with IIS7.5

14) Null FTP Client - http://www.vwsolutions.com
<http://www.vwsolutions.com/>  - Does not work with IIS7.5

15) InstantSyncT Secure FTPS/SFTP - http://www.3dftp.com/purchase.htm -
Maker of 3D-FTP - $99

16) FTPVoyager (from Serv-U people) - $39.95 Q100 Failed

17) CoffeeCup Direct FTP - https://www.coffeecup.com
<https://www.coffeecup.com/>  - $12.00 Q 50-249 - 7 Day Trial -  VERY BUGGY

iPad Clients

1)             FTP on the go Pro - $9.99

2)             Avatron Air Sharing HD - $9.99 - Does not work with IIS7.5

3)             Uploader - $0.99 - Simple file uploader - could not get this
to work.

Mac OS/X Clients

1)    Transmit - http://www.panic.com <http://www.panic.com/>  - $23 Q100 -
Mounts as a drive - includes sync

2)    CutefTP - cuteftp.com - $3.00 Academic License

3)    Fetch FTP - fetchsoftworks.com - $18 Q100

4)    YummyFTP - Yummysoftware.com - $28 Q1

5)    FileZilla - sourceforge.net - free

6)    Captain FTP - captainftp.xdsnet.de -         $34.01 Q1 thru 99

7)    Cyberduck - - cyberduck.ch - Open Source

8)    Twin FTP - apps4mac.com - $30 Q100 - Backup Software

9)    Flow FTP - extendmac.com - $25 Q1 - Does not work with IIS7.5

10)              Classic FTP - nchsoftware.com - $24.99 Q1 - Does not work
with IIS7.5

11)              CrossFTP Pro - cdrossftp.com - $12.50 Q100 - Requires Java
1.6 - messy install

12)              WebDrive - www.fastspring.com <http://www.fastspring.com/>
- $18 Q100 - requires MacFuse - double install - Crashed

13)              Expandrive - expandrive.com - $35 Q10 - Failed to Connect

14)              Interarchy - $16 Q10 - no FTPS

Implicit FTPS versus Explicit FTPS/FTPES

Fetch supports using FTP with TLS/SSL (also known as FTPS) to connect
securely to servers.

When you connect to a server using FTP with TLS/SSL, encryption is used to
protect the connection between your Macintosh and the server. This protects
your password and optionally your data, preventing an eavesdropper from
capturing or stealing them as they travel over the network. TLS stands for
"Transport Layer Security," and SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer." TLS
is a newer version of the SSL protocol.

There are three different methods of establishing FTP with TLS/SSL
connections; Fetch only supports two of them. The two supported methods are:

*	"AUTH TLS," also known as "FTPES," "Explicit SSL," or "Explicit
FTPS." This is the preferred method according to the RFC that defines FTP
with TLS/SSL.
*	"SSL connect," also known as "Implicit SSL" or "Implicit FTPS." This
is an older and no longer encouraged method of establishing FTP with
TLS/SSL, but it is still somewhat common.

The third method, "AUTH SSL," is also no longer encouraged and is not
supported by Fetch.

Please be aware that implicit FTPS and explicit FTPS/FTPES are two different
modes of operation for FTPS and, to the best of my knowledge, the implicit
mode is deprecated in favor of the explicit mode that is more narrowly
referred to as FTPES, versus FTPS that could imply either mode if not
verbosely clarified. When configuring the FTP client software, such as
FileZilla, please verify to ensure that it is setup to connect using "FTPES
- FTP over explicit TLS/SSL".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_client_software