On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:32:50AM -0500, Alexander Hawley wrote:

> I finally got back to fixing this again.
>
> There is definitely a delay between registration and service. I didn't time
> it or anything. But I can confirm you don't get internet right when you
> register.

The delay is generally 1-3 minutes, after which you need to re-establish
your wireless connection.  This delay (plus the IP release/renew) has been
part of the DHCP registration system for many years.

> I understand the ease of managing authN this way, but it's just not a good
> user experience. I'm not sure it's any better than the previous forms-based
> authN. Six of one (...). They both kind of break the internet a little.

Sure, but with the registration setup, it's a one-time issue, whereas with
the previous setup it was each time you connected.  Generally, the reports
we have received have been very positive for this change.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980