I'm with Dennis.

I can't believe a fat client is available, let alone required. Interoperability and compatibility does not mean developing a fat client for every operating system. Instead, it's about making something standard, and universally (not just widely) usable.

It's often pronounced "web". If the server can do it, it should. The only software I want on my computer is stuff that requires intensive local resources. E.g, graphics, 3d, animation, audio, simulation. Even these require servers for more massive throughput.

I suppose there's a Richard Stallman argument for local software, but I don't think an organization would want me recompiling the code for the financial system. But why not though? It's a distributed system with a central service. Make some standard APIs and let it loose.

It's not that hard.

-AH