Hello,

                One of the offices in the International Center has a bunch of computers that are set up for their visiting people.  We’ve recently moved to handing out temporary, limited accounts rather than a shared ID for better accountability.  As part of this, the printer in that room quit and they’re interested in replacing it.  With the anonymous access, it was quickly abused and it was burning toner and paper at a crazy rate.

                They were looking at NetPrint and just buying 500 tokens for each participant at the start of the semester and once gone, they’d be on their own to purchase more.  I’ve tried contacting ATS about NetPrint and the feasibility of having them install a capable printer, but never seem to get a response.

If NetPrint isn’t a viable option, is there some other solution that could allow for per-page accounting?  I’m OK paying for something if it looks like it’s worthwhile, but so far I’ve looked at various scripts that can run against a Windows-based print server’s event log, but I’d prefer something a little more intuitive.

Is anyone else doing anything like this?

Thanks!

Jon

Jon Galbreath

MCSE/Security+