On 1/27/11 10:24 AM, David McFarlane wrote:

> Thanks.  Hmm, decided to do a bit of my own homework, went to
> www.msu.edu and searched for "ipv6", which came up with a link to
> "IPv6 and the MSU Network - TB10982"
> (http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=10982&service= ), which says,
> "IPv6 is INCOMPATIBLE with our network at this time and therefore MUST
> be disabled on user computers".  Don't know how old that article is
> though, or if it still applies, or what it means for the future.
>
> -- dkm

That's a simplified statement we've made in our help article.  I cannot
speak to all of the particulars as to why the issue(s) arise on our
network with IPv6. However, I can confirm that the current
recommendation remains that it be disabled.  The typical issue that we
see involves a failure to successfully lease a DHCP address. That
situation is usually resolved by disabling IPv6.

There have also been issues at time with some versions of Windows with
IPv6 active becoming rogue (DNS if I recall correctly) on the network.

Any information more particular than that will have to come from someone
other than me.... /L

--
Leo Sell
ATS Help Desk