I would agree with Jon about getting rid of AD objects.  At this point
you may have orphaned objects relating to Exchange 2003 throughout your
AD environment.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if you were going from Exchange 2003 to
Exchange 2003 but since you are migrating to Exchange 2010, you may end
up in a situation where the Exchange 2003 server thinks that it's still
holds the mailboxes that were already disabled that may have unforeseen
consequences.

Following the article mentioned below works ok as I have done this a
number of times but I would also suggest a call to Microsoft just to
confirm the best course of action.  It may save many hours of work and
headache while keeping a clean AD environment.

Take care.

Firm.