You could use a plug computer with amahi software for your gui.

Amahi is a web based gui front-end, that you can either install or it
can be installed with a VPN plug-in based on OpenVPN which supports
more platforms then just MacOS or Windows, i believe it also includes
linux, xBSD, android and iOS. (if you want to support your cell phone
too.).

Plug computers are embedded linux systems on the ARM architecture. The
use very little power (10w max, like .1w when idle), probably less
then your current wireless router. They pay for themselves with the
energy savings in a couple of years versus a home server.

They are 100-250 dollars include bluetooth, wireless (b/G), ethernet,
USB, and some have two nic ports and Sata or eSata connections. The
include hardware encryption for like sha, des, etc., a vector
processing unit, etc.

Guruplug, and open-rd platforms were the ones I was looking at because
of the SATA interface (and open-rd has video out and a 12v input so
you can just use a car battery for your UPS, but it costs more nor is
it meant to be a server.) The PogoPlug is the EZ cloud computing with
a monthly service charge. I couldnt figure out if you could use it as
a VPN without completely hacking it.