Hi,

I am by no means a database expert so I propose this question.

I have a couple of MSSQL 2000 servers that desperately desire an upgrade to 2008.  I do realize the easiest upgrade is an in place one, however the OS desperately wants an upgrade as well so I’d like to do this on a new box with a new install.

So the question is, with MSSQL server what is the best way to migrate data from 2000 on one box to 2008R2 on another?  I’ve tried just taking a backup of the 2000 and restoring it to the 2008R2 sql server and because it was not the same server it would have nothing of that.

Thanks!

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE

Windows Systems Administrator

Department of Physics and Astronomy