From: Ehren Benson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Digital Video Archival

Hi,

Just curious what others are doing now in the age of things being 100% digital, especially with videos and home movies etc.  Given that cameras in the past used tapes or other medium that was reasonably durable (VHS, MiniDV etc) which could be put in a fire safe or etc.  I just got a new HD video camera that either uses 16GB of internal memory or MS Pro or SDHC cards.  Trying to figure out what is th best way to make sure 20 years from now my videos are still safe!  Hard drives are unreliable, flash memory is a bit more reliable…yet very expensive…etc

Don’t know exactly given this new type of thing how people are planning on archiving important stuff!

Interested in your thoughts.  Thanks

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE

Windows Systems Administrator

Department of Physics and Astronomy