For a long time, there has been a way to disable the check... But it
does depend on some decent method of distributing the configuration file
to all the clients (SCCM, Altiris, VBS/Group Policy, or some other
distribution system).

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/167/16701594.html

The problem with this, in my experience, is that this does indeed work
for a while.  What eventually happens though is a new version of Flash
is released, the header in a flash movie made with the new version
updates the URL to check for a new player and re-enables the update
service.  All the hard work you go through to maintain a stable version
goes out the window and you're back where you started, and your users
are wondering why they get broken flash players when it tries to install
without admin privs.

In order to prevent the update URL from working, you pretty much have to
use a proxy server, and prevent your workstations from detecting that a
new version has been made.  I say, go with Mr. Graff's method if you
possibly can.

..and pray that Adobe Flash will die a quick death someday by some
technological ninja.

Cheers